Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Puisi Untuk Menteri Pelajaran Malaysia

The Minister for Exams.


When I was a child I sat an exam

The test was so simple

There was no way I could fail.


Q1. Describe the taste of the moon.


It tastes like creation, I wrote

it has the flavour of starlight.


Q2. What colour is Love?


Love is the colour of water which a man

lost in the desert finds, I wrote.


Q3. Why do snowflakes melt?


I wrote, they melt because they fall

onto the warm tongue of God.


There were other questions.

There were as simple.


I desrcibed the grief of Adam when he was expelled from Eden.

I wrote down the exact weight of an elephant's dream.


Yet today, many years later,

For my living I sweep the streets

or clean out the toilets of the fat hotels.


Why? Because I consistently failed my exams.

Why? Well, let me set a test.


Q1. How large is a child's imagination?

Q2. How shallow is the soul of the Minister for Exams?


-Brian Patten, The Armada. 1996.



I was born intelligent, but educations ruined me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...